Here are some interesting facts about incense:
- The earliest recorded use of incense was in China in about 2000 BC.
- Incense mainly consists of ingredients such as bamboo stick, perfumes and a dried paste made from aromatic plants, wood and resins. Variations are present based on culture and geography.
- Frankincense, which is a tree resin is used for its medicinal purposes: insect repellant, cough remover, stomach soother and for its scent as incense. Pure frankincense is edible and may even have anti-cancer properties
- Ambergris is an aromatic wax-like flammable substance which originates in the intestines of sperm whales. It is used as a fixative for rare perfumes.
- Sandalwood, which is the most known of aromatic woods takes 14 years to mature. Cut sandalwood has been known to preserve its fragrance for decades.
- Incense sticks come in all shapes and sizes. A Guinness World Record for the world's largest incense stick ever made measures 15.71 m (51 ft. 6.87 in) long and 1.02 m (3 ft. 4.5 in).
- Citronella a popular fragrance used in incense is a natural insect repelled and can be used instead of insect or bug sprays.
Shop Our Handmade Backflow Incense Collection at Incenseuniverse.com